Since February of 2017 I have realized that sugar is simply the devil. LOL. I went through a sugar detox then and changed my eating habits completely; even natural sugar. I’ve since reintroduced myself to processed sugars, which I’m kicking myself for now! Sugar is what aids in the added belly fat! I love baking, and unfortunately the older I get I like to indulge more and more in sweet treats. However, I’m trying to get back into being conscious of the sugar intake. Sugar is in EVERYTHING!
When going through my sugar detox, my taste buds changed. Things I used to think weren’t sweet at all, i.e. types of berries, became super sweet by themselves. As a kid I used to put sugar on top of my strawberries. Now, they are sweet enough by themselves to give me a dessert feeling. It’s amazing what sugar does to your taste buds and body!
I thought I’d share some of my favorite low sugar sweet treats. I’ll be sharing a few of my favorite baking ones later, but I thought I’d share the super easy ‘throw ’em together’ desserts to start with. 🙂
**I’d also like to note that if you are trying to be sugar conscious stay away from ‘sugar-free’!! There are other additives in them that aren’t good for you. I like to stick to natural sugar as best as I can. Sometimes though, an indulgence is needed!! LOL
- Bowl of strawberries and blueberries with either goat cheese or feta cheese crumbles
- Square of 90% dark chocolate with a few raspberries
- Almonds and dark chocolate chips
- Almonds and blueberries
- Whipping Cream Fruit Milkshakes (blend 1/4 C. heavy whipping cream, 1/2 C. unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 cup frozen fruit, ice) You could also add in a tbsp. of cocoa powder or PB2 powder)
- Chocolate Strawberry Ice Cream (blend 1 C frozen strawberries, 1/2 C. unsweetened almond milk, 1/4 C. unsweetened Greek yogurt, 1 tbsp. cocoa powder)
These have a little more natural sugar, but are still not terrible:
- Apple slices and Nut butter
- 1/2 banana, melted nut butter, a few dark chocolate chips
- peach slices, goat cheese, basil, and pita chips/Triscuits
Bonus: If you want more sweet and aren’t yet ready to give up for natural sugar, Halo Top ice cream is pretty tasty! Strawberry is my favorite.
Let me know what you think of these, or if you have any other healthier sweet treat options!