It’s November which means Thanksgiving is coming!! All kinds of food will be made and devoured! 🙂 Apple pie is a family go to for the holidays. It is also my husband’s favorite pie! I always try to make a version of it for his birthday which is November 1st. This year I made the best version to date; my husband’s exact words! LOL So, I thought I’d share this super easy Apple Pie recipe!
*Note: I would freeze the butter for the pie crust first then make the apple pie filling. After the apple pie filling is done and cooling, you can finish the pie dough. This give the filling time to cool. 🙂
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 3/4 Cup Unsalted Butter (cut in small squares and frozen for about 10 minutes)
- 6 Tablespoons Ice Cold Water (place water and ice cubes in bowl then use Tablespoon to measure from)
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar (optional – I left mine out – there’s a ton of sugar in the filling and topping!)
- Freeze diced butter for 5-10 minutes.
- Whisk flour and salt in a large bowl (you would add sugar now if you were using it as well).
- Add in diced butter and using a fork, hands, or pastry cutter mix together until small bits and pieces start to form.
- Add a Tablespoon of ice cold water at a time until a soft dough forms.
- Split pie dough in half. This is enough to make two pies. You can freeze one for later use.
- Flour your clean counter and roll pie dough out to the size of the pie pan.
- Spray pie pan and place dough in it. Pinch the edges.
Apple Pie Filling:
- 4 Large apples, peeled and diced
- lemon juice
- 1/2 Cup sugar (or 1 Tablespoon Stevia)
- 3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg or Mace
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Cup warm water
- Once apples are sliced and diced place in a bowl with 3/4 Cup water and lemon juice to keep from browning.
- In a saucepan, whisk together the cornstarch and 1/4 cup water until well blended. (on medium/low heat)
- Add cinnamon, sugar, and nutmeg/mace. Whish until well combined.
- Turn down heat to low, add in the apples, and stir together.
- Let cook until apples are tender (5-10 minutes).
- Once cooked, remove from heat and let cool before putting on the pie crust
- 1 Cup Butter
- 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- Dice butter and set aside.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients.
- Place diced butter on apple pie filling and bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Place mix on top of apple pie and bake for about 50 more minutes at 375 degrees.
- If topping is getting too brown you could cover with foil for the last 15 minutes or so.
- Let cool completely before serving. You could put a scoop of vanilla ice cream if you so desire.
- Enjoy 🙂