Have you ever had a dessert that is just an instant hit with anybody and everybody? This dessert is THAT dessert for me .. as long as they love chocolate they love this dessert! I found a recipe like this in college one day and ever since have been making it for any and all occasions. I know it by heart, and I’ve made my own little tweaks to it through the years. It is a super easy and fast homemade dessert; it literally takes me 10 minutes from start to finish!
I made these my first year teaching for all of my 115 8th grade students… that was a lot of cupcakes! It took me 3 hours the night before, but I had promised for the last day I would make them for all of my classes. All I had told them was the name of them; they had no idea what the surprise was! I remember one student told me as I passed them out, “Mrs. K there isn’t any icing on these cupcakes. You can’t have a cupcake without icing!” To which I replied, “Trust me, these don’t need icing!” 🙂 And after that student took his first bite he gave me a look of pure heaven and said, “I stand corrected.. these are amazing!” That was 9 years ago, and I still have my previous students contact me for the recipe!
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Pour hot water into a small bowl or cup. Place the 4 eggs in it and let sit. This is my easy trick for when I forget to take the eggs out earlier to bring them to room temperature. Eggs at room temperature for baking is a must!
Line 12 muffin cups in a muffin tin. Place an Oreo cookie in each. (You could use small chocolate chip cookies as well. Or really any small cookie that’s that size.)
Place your butter and chocolate in a microwavable bowl. Slice the butter into smaller squares and break pieces of chocolate up so it melts easier. Cover with a paper towel and melt for 45 seconds first. Take it out and check it by stirring it a little. Put it back in the microwave for another 30 seconds. This time the chocolate should be melted enough that you can stir to mix the chocolate and butter! You don’t want to microwave it too long as it can get a burnt flavor. Set the chocolate mixture aside.
Take the eggs out of the hot water. Pour the flour, powder sugar, egg yolks, and eggs into a large mixing bowl. Using a hand held or stand mixer, mix them together to make a creamy cupcake mix.
Pour the chocolate mixture into the yellow cupcake mixture. Mix together for a minute making sure to incorporate all of it together.
Using a spatula, scrape sides and edges to mix fully.
Pour batter on top of Oreo cookies, filling each cupcake about ¾ full. You don’t want to fill it to the top as they will expand and overflow. You can easily pour directly into the cupcake pan or a trick I do is to use an ice cream scoop. You get the same amount in each cupcake, AND it’s less of a mess!
Place in oven and set a timer for 8 minutes.
**The key to this dessert is the cook time. You may want to keep baking it, but trust me don’t! 8 minutes is the perfect amount of time! It leaves it super gooey in the middle!!
Take out of oven, let cool on cooling rack for 5 minutes. Remove the cupcakes and let rest on cooling rack for another 15 minutes.
Enjoy that ooey gooey ness!
1 bar of Baker’s Square Semi Sweet chocolate
½ cup butter (1 stick)
2 large whole eggs
2 large egg yolks
1 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
12 muffin liners
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Pour hot water into a small bowl or cup. Place the 4 eggs in it and let sit.
- Line 12 muffin cups in a muffin tin. Place an Oreo cookie in each
- Melt sliced butter and broken chocolate pieces in a covered microwavable bowl starting with 45 seconds, stirring, then do another 30 seconds. Mix evenly.
- Pour the flour, powder sugar, egg yolks, and eggs into a large mixing bowl. Using a hand held or stand mixer, mix them together to make a creamy cupcake mix.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the yellow cupcake mixture. Mix together for a minute making sure to incorporate all of it together.
- Pour batter on top of Oreo cookies, filling each cupcake about ¾ full.
- Place in oven for 8 minutes.
- Take out of oven, let cool on cooling rack for 5 minutes. Remove the cupcakes and let rest on cooling rack for another 15 minutes.